MRCGP AKT Exam – High Yield Topics from the April 2014 AKT Exam
After each MRCGP AKT examination, the examiners release a report highlighting key information from the last exam. This includes pass marks and rates, and also key topics – both those that were answered well, and those that GP trainees performed poorly on. These topics are frequently examined again in the next few sittings of the AKT exam, so it is worth ensuring that you have a good understanding of them.
As some of you may be starting to think about the October 2014 MRCGP AKT Exam at the moment, we thought it would be helpful to look at the high yield topics from the latest examiners’ report.
Key facts from the April 2014 MRCGP AKT exam:
The top score was 95%
The mean score was 72.2%
The lowest score was 43%
The pass mark was 67% (this is one of the lowest it has ever been so far)
The pass rate was 72.5%
Scores by domain:
Clinical medicine – 72.5%
Evidence interpretation – 73.8%
Organisational – 67.9%
High Yield Topics
The examiners’ report from this diet of the MRCGP AKT exam highlighted the following key topics:
- Drug dosage calculations
- Drugs administered by other health professionals
- Good Medical Practice – 2013 GMC guidance
- Contraception – including LARC and drug interactions
- Acute infections – antibiotics and prophylaxis
- Mental health – diagnosis and management of anxiety
- Digestive health – irritable bowel and coeliac disease
- Death and cremation certification
- Substance misuse – including treatment of withdrawal symptoms
- Poisoning – symptoms and management
- Psoriasis – diagnosis and management
The MRCGP AKT is a comprehensive examination, so it is important that you cover the entire curriculum. Remember that 80% of the marks are related to applying knowledge relating to clinical medicine in general practice, 10% to evidence interpretation and 10% to the organisational domain.
Emedica Alumni can get a £20 discount off the Emedica MRCGP AKT course by entering this code when booking: alumnimrcgp
Our AKT course offers comprehensive coverage of all 3 domains, and is updated after every exam to take account of high yield topics from the examiners’ feedback reports.
Complete Examiners’ report – April 2014 MRCGP AKT Exam